Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Queen Latifah's Tell All Interview


Queen Latifah opens up about her past. The Queen reveals she was abused by a teenage boy who was put in charge of her. "He violated me," she tells Essence magazine. "I never told anybody; I just buried it as deeply as I could and kept people at an arm's distance. I never really let a person get too close to me. I could have been married years ago, but I had a commitment issue."

The rapper turned actress said she didn't tell anyone until her brother passed away when she was 22 years old. "I had to get it off my chest. My mother felt terrible. She was kind of a country girl, so she wasn't up on how slick people could be. When I told my dad, he said nothing."

The face of Cover Girl said she blamed herself of the sexual abuse until she spoke with her therapist. "I was a kid, and I had no power or control over the situation. I really wish I'd had the strength and the knowledge to say something sooner, because I always wondered, Did he do that to someone else? But I accept that the time for action has come and gone."

For more of the story check out the latest issue of Essence magazine, which its newsstands June 12.

Photo:hiponline

2 comments:

  1. I've always enjoyed Queen Latifah as an actress and comedian. She's a woman of strength and can make people laugh without being crude. I feel sorry for her that she was abused but I'm glad she got past it to become successful and strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that she admitted this, it just shows even more how strong she is. Women could relate to her in the beginning when she was rapping and even the ones who were hurt like her can still relate to her getting over that troubled time in her life.

    (Thanks for commenting liggybee)

    ReplyDelete